This is a very healthy, easy, fast, and low fat yummy recipe that we love for the intense flavors, great texture, and the designer in me loves the colors!
A green salad and hearty whole grain bread completes the meal for sure.
Serves 4 Recipe doubles very well
- 1 1 # package Honeysuckle Mild Italian Turkey Sausage
- 3 fresh peppers cut into 2” long Julienne strips (I used 1each of yellow, orange, & red)
- 2 cans 141/2 ounces Hunts Diced Tomatoes + 1 can of water (I like having lots of broth for dunking bread )
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 T dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp dried garlic flakes
- 1tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp course ground pepper
- Grated parmesean chesse for garnish (optional but I love adding it )
Brown turkey sausage in olive oil
Add dried onion & garlic, & spices
Add tomatoes + water
Then the peppers
Cover and simmer on medium to low heat for 20 – 30 minutes. Let sit about 15 min or longer for flavors to absorb while finishing dinner prep. Great reheated!