Using the original recipe, spinach and quinoa were added. Small addition but loads of added nutrition from the spinach and quinoa is one of the highest grains in protein.
A green salad and hearty whole grain bread completes the meal for sure.
Serves 4 Recipe doubles very well
- 1 1 # package Honeysuckle Mild Italian Turkey Sausage
- 3 fresh peppers cut into 2” long Julienne strips (I used 1each of yellow, orange, & red)
- 2 cans 141/2 ounces Hunts Diced Tomatoes + 1 can of water plus another can or 2 of water added to pot for final simmer (I like having lots of broth for dunking bread )
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water & simmer for 10 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 T dried onion flakes
- 2 tsp dried garlic flakes
- 1tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp course ground pepper
- Grated parmesean chesse for garnish (optional but I love adding it )
Brown turkey sausage in olive oil
Add dried onion & garlic, & spices
Add tomatoes + water
Then the peppers
Cover and simmer on medium to low heat for 20 – 30 minutes.
Cooked pepper mixture
Remove most of pepper & turkey mixture to larger pot
To liquid add spinach and simmer until “kind of” limp but not mushy.
Put spinach & liquid in pot with pepper & turkey mixture & add quinoa
Simmer on low for about 15 min or longer for flavors to absorb while finishing your dinner prep of salad & etc.
Great reheated or frozen for later !